tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 06 22:49:10 1998

Re: KLBC - buv vagh DIp mojaqmey muSqu' vIlo'nISqu'qa'ba'.

---Burt Clawson <[email protected]> wrote:

> KLBC - reH jIqeqnIStaH
>
> ja' Qov:
>
> > Translate into Klingon (I'm making you practice some other noun
> > suffixes, too):
> >
> > Thanks to your stupid so-called information, we're in this prison.
>
> De'qoqlI' QIpmo' bIghHa'vamDaq maH.

You got the hard part: realizing that "thanks to" has nothing to do
with /tlho'/, but you missed an easy one.  /De'/ is inanimate, use
/De'qoqlIj/.

> > >From here I can see a man.
>
> naDevDaq loD vIleghlaH.

Two things.
1./naDev/ never takes /-Daq/, so to say "in here" or "to here" just
say /naDev/.
2. I said "from here."  The motion of the verb /legh/ is directed away
from here, so I'd use /naDevvo'/.

> > He fell out of that window.
>
> Qorwaghvetlhvo' pum ghaH.

maj.

> > He picked up the stick for something that appears to be a flag.
> joqwI'HeyvaD naQHom woH.

majQa'.  Good use of N3.

> > Now his flag-thing is on the stick
>
> DaH naQHomDaq 'oH joqwI'HeyDaj.

Missed part of that construction.  When you use a noun as the subject
of a pronoun as to be sentence the noun has to have /-'e'/.  Sorry, I
wasn't trying to make it that complicated.  The last word has to be
/joqwI'HeyDaj'e'/.  Also with locative and pronoun as to be, Okrand
almost always uses /-taH/ so consider /maHtaH/ in the first sentence
and /'oHtaH/ here.

> > He is running towards our guard.
> 'avwI'ma'Daq qetlI' ghaH.

majQa'.  Got everything there.  Continuous action, deliberate
destination, sentient possesive, and /-Daq/.

> > Jump!  Get out of the cage and charge right for the wet river!
>
> yISup!  mo'vo' yIHaw' 'ej bIQtIq yIQDaq yIyovchu'!

majQa'!

> > Because of his courage, that prison[er] became a minor
inconvenience.

> qajunpaQDajmo' qay'choHlaw' qama'vetlh.
> toDujDajmo' qay'choHlaw' bIghHa'vetlh.

I was thinking /SengHom moj/, just because I wanted to throw in an N1,
but I can't complain because you did it with a verb.  To translate the
"minor" I recommend /loQ/ over /-law'/.  /-law'/ reflects your
certainty, not the extent of the action.

> mughtaHmeH Qatlhqu' mu'tlheghmeyvetlh.
I'd have put a prefix on /mugh/.  At least one canon sentence of this
type doesn't, but ... well I would have.

> jIHvaD qaDvam Danobmo' qatlho'!
maj.  batlh bIH Damugh.  Qu' Data'meH bIqImba'. DaH DIp moHaqmey vagh
Dayajlaw'.

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian