tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 06 16:40:29 1998

Re: KLBC - buv vagh DIp mojaqmey muSqu' vIlo'nISqu'qa'ba'.

---Burt Clawson <[email protected]> wrote:

> wa'leS voSpeghDaq jIleng.
> Sub HewDaq lutu'lu' toQmey law'.

This error is becoming a habit for you.  Stop it quickly.
The subject of a /-lu'/ verb is indefinite, therefore nothing may go
in the subject position.  The thing that "one finds" is the object of
the verb, hence comes BEFORE the verb.

Sub HewDaq toQmey law' lutu'lu'.

> cha'Hu' roj qep'a' DaqDaq DuDaqDI' Da' Datu'be'.

DuDaqDI'?  Strange prefix.
Also, you're talking about "when" over a period of time.  The suffixes
/-DI'/ and /-vIS/ can both be translated "when," but when "when" could
mean "while," use /-vIS/, and when "when" could mean "as soon as," use
/-DI'/.  I'd expect /-vIS/ in your sentence above.

> muD Dotlh qabmo' nItlha'laHbe' jem'HaDarngan.
maj.

> matlhHa'ghachchajmo' HoHchuq Hoch romuluSnganpu'.
It works, but think most people would say /matlhHa'mo' chaH/.

> mo'mo' norgh narghlaHbe'.
> "The norg can't escape because of the cage."

Actually this says "S/he can't escape the norg because of the cage."
OVS problems again.

> SoHvaD nobvam vIqemta'.
> vengvamvaD HoS wISuqnIS.
> jan ghomrajvaD DIron loS leSpalmey meSchuS chuS'ugh je je' joHwI'

maj.

> not Qovvo' ghem vInIHpu'.
bIval.

> jaghra'vo' vay' yIlajQo'.
> Huvo' ghoS verengan.
majQa'

> (I can't face /-'e'/ just now, perhaps later.)

Grin, you're doing fine with the noun suffixes.  It's other things
that are tripping you up, here and there.  /-'e'/ is possibly the
easiest noun suffix to use: you can just slap it on just about any
noun you would underline or make emphatic hand gestures for.  The only
thing you have to really watch is not putting it on the first noun of
a noun-noun, and not using it when you're going to use another type-5
noun suffix.

There are two special uses of /-'e'/, with PTB and relative clauses,
but qay'be'.

Translate into Klingon (I'm making you practice some other noun
suffixes, too):

Thanks to your stupid so-called information, we're in this prison.
>From here I can see a man.
He fell out of that window.
He picked up the stick for something that appears to be a flag.
Now his flag-thing is on the stick.
He is running towards our guard.
Jump!  Get out of the cage and charge right for the wet river!
Because of his courage, that prison became a minor inconvenience.

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian