tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 01 12:18:36 1998

Re: KLBC - attempt at translation, v 1.1

ja' Qermaq:
>The rule of thumb I've followed that seems to have been successful is this -
>if you can leave a word out or rephrase more concisely, and the sentence is
>still clear, yIruch! Economy of words is not a prerequisite for good
>Klingon, but it is a trait I see in the writing of the best Klingon-users on
>the list.
>
>Exs. Dochvam 'oH nuq'e' vs. Dochvam nuq

One can take "concise" too far.  In written communication, {Dochvam nuq}
seems a bit out of place, something along the lines of "whatsit?"  When
speaking, many imperfectly grammatical "shortcuts" are accepted without
complaint, but I think written text should be held to a higher standard.

vuDwIj'e' vImuchta'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level