tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 27 19:31:31 1997

Re: KLBC: practise

At 12:51 97-09-27 -0700, muHwI' wrote:
}wa'Hu' jIHu'. Yesterday, I woke up

{jIHu'} - I got up.  {jIvem} - woke up.  In ST III you can hear the Klingons
yelling  "yIHu'!" at Spock.  They want him on his feet.

}Qe'Daq vIghoS. I went to the kitchen

{Qe'} - restaurant  {vutpa'} - kitchen  With the verb {ghoS}, don't use the
{-Daq} suffix.  See p. 28.

}vay' vItlhutlh vIneH. I wanted to drink something
maj.

}qa'vIn vIparHa' 'ach tu'lu'be'. I like coffee but there was none
maj.

}vaj nIm vInobHa' . chIm. So I took the milk. It was empty

{nobHa'} means give back, un-give. To say "take," use {tlhap}.  Maybe also
{lel} would be appropriate here.

}nIm latlh vISamnIS. I needed to find other milk

We now know that {latlh} goes before the noun it modifies.  {latlh nIm} -
other milk, additional milk.

}Do' nom 'oH vIlegh. Luckily I saw it quickly.

The {'oH} isn't necessary here, or are you emphasising that you saw >it< as
opposed to something else.

}DaH jIQuch nIm vItlhutlhlaHmo'. Now I was happy 'cause I could drink

There are those who insist that the {-mo'} clause precede the main clause,
but we don't have a rule to say it must.

}jImoDnISmo' nom jItlhutlh. Because I had to hurry I drunk quickly
maj.

}mu'ghomwIj vIlo'be'. DaH DuSaQ jIHtaH.
majQa'. I would have said {vIlo'taH} to make it clear that you didn't use
the dictionary for the whole effort.

}I am really proud about this because I did not use any sources.
}I did it in school during my class.  {{:-)

majQa'.  bIHem 'e' Dabaj.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level