tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 27 00:16:13 1997

Re: Refining our ideas on indirect objects

[email protected] on behalf of Marian Schwartz wrote:
> ghItlh SuStel
> >Couldn't one say instead {mulI' De'vam}?  What's stopping this?
>
> Here's an way to encompass this: {-vaD} isn't exactly like "for," and it
> isn't exactly like "to."  It's a little bit of both.  Now the loose use of
> the verb prefixes is mostly just the form "to."  Therefore, "jIHvaD"
> doesn't always equal {mu-} exactly.

I don't think so.  You're just fiddling with English words, not Klingon
concepts.  Klingon doesn't have different prepositions, it's got {-vaD} to
represent the beneficiary of an action.

Try to forget English entirely and analyze the problem from a Klingon point of
view.

SuStel
Stardate 97739.3

Back to archive top level