tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 26 16:36:30 1997

Refining our ideas on indirect objects

ghItlh SuStel
>There is one problem with all of this which gives me cause for alarm.
Suppose
>one says
>
>       jIHvaD lI' De'vam
>       This information is useful to me.
>
>Couldn't one say instead {mulI' De'vam}?  What's stopping this?  I just
don't
>think this is supposed to work like this.  My guess is that verbs of
quality
>can't use prefixes to indicate indirect objects.

Here's a theory that extends for this: {-vaD} doesn't exactly mean "for",
and it doesn't exactly mean "to".  But the loose use of prefixes is mainly
just "to", if translated with a preposition.  So, {jIHvaD} and {mu-} don't
have quite the same role in a sentence.
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level