tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 23 17:28:05 1997

Re: KLBC: that old joke

(KLBC has already been answered by BG)

>>{qagh QaQ law' pagh QaQ puS}
>>can I use this for "better"?
>
>Yes.  In English you wouldn't say "*X is more good than Y"
>but in Klingon that's a fine way to say it.  However, we don't know
>if saying X QaQ law' pagh QaQ puS makes it sound like "X is better
>than nothing at all" or "there exists no thing such that X is better
>than it."  So your second idea is better, once you get the word order
>right.   Remember that the {law'/puS} is a very special construction.

When I read this the first thing that came into my mind was that this could
be used as an insult to X.  [pagh QaQ puS] - nothing is less good - which
would mean that everything really is better than X.  KGT says something like
[X QaQ law' Hoch QaQ puS] means that X is best; everything is less good.

DloraH

Back to archive top level