tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 20 06:54:12 1997

Re: KLBC: of/about

ja' Qermaq:
>.. 'e' vIHar = I believe that...
>.. 'e' vItul = I hope that...
>.. 'e' vISov = I know that...
>So why not, since it is a mental activity...
>.. 'e' vInaj = I dream that...
>
>may' tu'lu' 'e' vIHar = I believe there's a battle, and may' tu'lu' 'e'
>vInaj = I dream there's a battle. We don't know for sure, of course - but
>it is sensible to assume that a mental activity verb takes the situation
>being mentated as its object.

I don't follow this reasoning.  How about a parallel argument?

vay' vIvo' = I propel something.
vay' vISop = I eat something.
So why not, since it is a physical activity...
vay' vIyIt = I walk something.

I don't think so.  {naj} could easily be intransitive, like {Qong} and {ba'}
and {qet}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level