tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 20 08:37:50 1997

Re: KLBC: of/about

ghItlh ghunchu'wI':

>vay' vIvo' = I propel something.
>vay' vISop = I eat something.
>So why not, since it is a physical activity...
>vay' vIyIt = I walk something.
>
>I don't think so. {naj} could easily be intransitive, like {Qong} and
{ba'}
>and {qet}.

I don't think so either, but differently. What are you walking? What are
you sleeping? What are you sitting? My point was that *vInaj* = I dream it
- that answers the question "What do I dream?" Where the object of yIt is
unclear, the object of naj could be only one thing. Whether it can be the
object is not for me to say, but a comparison with 'hope' sets up an
interesting parallel.

Hope isn't really transitive in English - I can't hope a situation, but I
can hope for a situation. But MO says we can say 'e' vItul to mean 'I hope
that (the previous sentence is acted)'. Dream is similar. I won't say the
same - that's MO's job - but it seems reasonable to translate jIpuvlaH 'e'
vInaj as I dream that I can fly.

Dream would be a very boring word without a transitive use...

ghunchu'wI', bIyaj bIQochbe' je 'e' vItul

Qermaq

Back to archive top level