tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 19 14:53:38 1997

Re: Klingon Chat

ghItlh Worf Son of Mogh:

>>At 04:47 PM 9/16/97 -0700, Qermaq wrote:

Beware to whom you ascribe the quotes on this listserv. These words were
written by Qov in response to me.

>>The MUSH is actually very easy to use. It has a lot of advanced features,
>>but they aren't needed for just talking. The problem lately has been lack
>>of people. The convention is to meet in the Quch Quch tach: type @tel #32
>>if you don't know the way.
>
>True, but when I've tried MU* around a bit, I get all confused over the
>commands... I would think an IRC server would be a better chat medium
>(IMHO)

I believe there is a better way than the MUSH but it is there... we might
as well make use of it. But I would welcome other options.

>>I will try to be there on Saturdays from 13h-16h. I may be idle, but page
>>me and I'll probably answer. I know of two other capable speakers who
spend
>>a fair amount of time online on other MU*s. Perhaps we could get into the
>>habit of connecting to KLI MUSH, in case someone is looking for us?

Qov - 13:00-16:00 GMT? EST? PST?

>Maybe, but then again, I spend a fair bit of time on IRC (more than I'd
>like), and few on IRC come in to speak tlh-H (maybe they don't join
>#Klingon, where I am, and go for the other chan, #tlhIngan...)

When we spend a lot of time somewhere, be it MUSHes, Active Worlds, Comic
Chat, IRC, ICQ, etc. we become partial to that form. We need to assess
which is most suited to the mission - which is learning to communicate
using the Klingon language. That is the criterion we must use - ease and
convenience and format and features are all factors to consider, but
mustn't outweigh the educational appropriateness.

>>Those of you who cannot use telnet for some reason have other meeting
>>places. Can these be added to the FAQ?
>
>I suggest they get added to the FAQ, as well, some basic MU* commands to
>help people navigate them...

I again suggest that an HTML page be devoted to hints to the Klingon user
of the MUSH, and linked to the telnet link on the KLI projects page. (The
FAQ is really list-centered, and quite long already; the MUSH/other Klingon
speaking environment is a separate thing - perhaps it needs its own FAQ?)
What's important is that no one has to go into the MUSH (or other speaking
environment) distracted from the learning process by  confusion.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level