tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 17 23:53:48 1997

Re: KLBC: vulqanganpu'

lab muHwI'
>I forgot the fact that "KLBC"s are read by beginners and so
>I forgot to write in english. Sorry
>I admit that I also am a beginner, but I try to speak as much
>Klingon possible. I'll remember next time. {{:-)

>*klbc*mey laD taghwI'qoqpu' 'e' vIlIjpu'.
This is a fine sentence, but unfortunately it violates the
stricture that when {'e'} is used, the second verb mustn't have a V7
suffix.  Remove the {-pu'} from {vIlIj}.

>vaj DIvI' Hol vIlIjpu' je.
You had forgotten the English when?  You're already writing about the
time you wrote the sentence.  (Now you remember; *then* you
forgot, so you must writing about then.)  At that time you hadn't
forgotten the English in the past.  You forgot the English *at that
time*.  So no need for perfective.  The perfective suffix {-pu'}
indicates that, at the time the sentence refers to, the action was
already complete.  But it wasn't.  It wasn't complete until you
stopped forgetting, when M'Sa'la reminded you.

Aspect refers to the completion or continuousness of the action *at
the time the sentence is >about<* NOT at the time the
sentence is told.  Do not try to use perfective aspect to compensate
for the lack of a past tense in Klingon.

>taghwI' jIHbej 'ach reH tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh vInID. wa'leS
>vIqawchu'.

{vIjatlh 'e' vInID}.  You used the sentence as object construction in
your first sentence, but forgot it here.  wa'leS chutvetlh Daqaw je
qar'a'? :)

qeqtaHchugh taghwI' tugh taghwI' ghaHbe'.
If a beginner keeps practising, soon he won't be a beginner.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level