tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 17 07:22:59 1997

Re: KLBC: vulqanganpu'

> No.  The original greeting is a Vulcan phrase, and I have always been of
> the opinion that the Vulcan language would be quite particular in making
> a distinction between statements, wishes, and orders.  They would likely
> also be quite careful to preserve that distinction in translations.
>
> The "Radio Times" translation bears this out: {yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep!}

Marketa Zvelbil, and her father a Dravidic scholar have done a lot to
develop a Vulcan language (albeit unofficially).  They have a grammar and
lexicon available at Marketa's pages

     http://www.ludwig.ucl.ac.uk/st/StarTrek/Vulcan

Where a special page is devoted to "Live long and prosper" in a variety of
terrestrial tongues (and Klingon; she uses the Radio Times version):

http://www.ludwig.ucl.ac.uk/st/StarTrek/Vulcan/llp.html

[I've also got a VB tool for Windows with the grammar and dictionary for
download at my AOL web pages, below.]

 ** Four thousand non-Okrand words can be used in a night **
 **      by a laughing Klingon! jItlhaQ! jIHagh!          **
 **         [email protected]* [email protected]      **
 **  [email protected] **http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon **

Back to archive top level