tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 15 13:49:35 1997

Re: KLBC: word explanations

At 12:52 AM 9/15/97 -0700, Dawut wrote:

>waH
>       try out, use (experimentally), taste food to see if it's prepared
>properly or to find out it you like it.
>       (v) {from MSN}
>
>Is the text regarding food merely and example of the intended
>application of this verb, or does this verb exclusively relate to
>taste-testing?

The object can be food or something else being tried.

>'op
>    some of (n?) {HolQeD v4n3p4 - S47}
>
>Can someone expand on this?  I do not have the sited issue of HolQeD.
>(I only have the first volume of HolQeD.)  Is my example correct?
>
>tlhutlhlIj 'op yInob.
>Give me _some of_  your drink.
>
>Would a counter-part to {'op} be {Hoch}?
>
>tlhutlhlIj Hoch yInob.
>Give me _all_  your drink.

'op is a cunterpart to Hoch. But they both go *befoere* the noun the modify.
Also {tlhutlh} is not a noun, and you've just said "give" {yInob}  not "give
me" {HInob}.

'op HIqlIj HInob - give me some of your liquor
Hoch HIqlIj HInob - give me all of your liquor

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level