tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 14 11:33:03 1997

Re: KLBC: Ha'DIbaHmey

At 08:51 PM 9/12/97 -0700, SuStel wrote:
>[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
>> {nuq} doesn't mean "which." {tlhIngan Ha'DIbaH nuq} means "a Klingon
>> animal's what?"  "the what of a Klingon animal?"  We would rephrase your
>> question as a command "Identify the terran animal that resembles a wolf."
>
>Actually, your translation is not supported by canon.  {tlhIngan Ha'DIbaH nuq}
>means "What is a Klingon animal?"

Certainly, by itself as a sentence, it means that, in clipped Klingon.
But as surely as {tlhIngan Ha'DIbaH tlhuQ} means "a Klingon amimal's tail,"
{tlhIngan Ha'DIbaH nuq} means "a Klingon animal's what?"  Clearly when the
phrase is used as the subject of the sentence it must be the noun phrase,
not the clipped sentence.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level