tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 12 00:51:50 1997

Re: 5 min. Conversations

At 06:26 AM 9/11/97 -0700, M. Vooda wrote:
>What I need and probably most others is more cassettes or CDs created on the
>Kilngon language.  We need a "few experts"  to record a few hours worth of
>conversations.  If you give me this, I know I'll be more confident during
>conversation and five minutes will be cake.  I can learn to read and write
>Klingon all I want, but getting the correct sentence pronouncations is the
>hard part.  Oh, and I am aware and I have all the available audio resources
>listed in the Klingon Language Institute, but we need more.

This is what *I* wanted from my first qep'a'.  I was going to send Lawrence
blank cassettes and have him send them back filled with the cheerful voices
of attendees.  The thing is, we don't really have any experts.  We have some
people who are pretty darned good, but honestly how could any of us be
experts in a language we've never heard spoken by native speakers?  Even
Marc Okrand depicts himself as just a conduit of the language from his
interview subject.  If you want to arrange a time to call me, send me a
private e-mail and I'll be happy to converse.  I'd balk at sending someone a
tape of me reading one of my stories or something, though: you'd end up
copying my bad habits.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level