tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 09 23:18:13 1997

Re: KLBC: (Requiem) cha'DIch 'ay'

At 11:52 AM 9/9/97 -0700, Edy wrote:
>jaw, HeSmeywIj tIlIj

vIlIjqangbej.

>> Qov> SoHvo' Qaghvam vIleghqa'chugh, 'oy'naQ vIlo'. :)
>>
>> Edy apparently thinks I was joking about the painstik.  [Qov produces a
>> menacing looking painstik, dials it to moderate intensity and jabs Edy in
>> the chest. "moHaqmey tIqaw!" she yells.  "Remember your prefixes!"]
>
>No. I didn't think you are jokking. If I merely looking for fun, I wasn't
>here. I really like klingon language and I'm trying to develop myself, of
>course, having fun too.

majQa'.  bIvumqu' 'e' vISov.

>I really forgot the plural form. I changed {yempu' - they have sinned} to a
>new word {HeS - crime} and forget to change the prefix of the imperative >form.

DaH DalIjqa'be'law' qar'a'?  I really only used the painstik to possibly
provide an amusing way for you and others who (I hope) are learning from
this ongoing discussion to remember that prefix.  KGT says that Klingon kids
misuse it, and we've seen Marc Okrand forget it in the proverb {yIvoq 'ach
lojmItmey yISam}.

> qaStaHvIS may''a' jajmey DI moj qo' 'e' qon' qun

{qon} not {qon'}.  Watch those stray stops.

> jaj tu'lu'. jajvetlh chavmeywIj noHmeH nughoS joH

Qov> You're consistently translating {-wIj} as "our."  {-wIj} is "my."  If
Qov> you want our, use {-maj}.  You've done this several places.  Find them all.
Edy>	I'll do it.

You missed one.

> qo'Daq qa'mey rI' ghoghmey chuS
> (The loudly sounds will hail the spirits in the realm)
>
> Hoch ghIj noHwI'. HeSmeychaj DIlmeH nargh Hoch qa'mey
> (The judge will scare ev'ryone. All spirits will appear in order to pay out
> their sins)

qay'be'.

>> Translating is better for sharpening your skills and especially your
>> vocabulary after you have already learned.
>
>	This is my goal. I hope you have some patience with my attempt
>in translations. On my way I'll try to be skilled and develop my klingon.

jItuv 'e' vInID.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level