tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 09 10:38:14 1997

qaStaHvIS poH jIQubtaH

In ST7 Soran says to Picard, "Time is the fire in which we all burn." Just
thinking about how this would be expressed in tlhIngan Hol. To say "We all
burn in a fire" we'd write qulDaq meQ Hoch. But how could we say that time
is the fire and use a locative as one of the two nouns? We can't say
*qulDaq'e' meQ Hoch 'oH poH'e'* (let's ignore for now the fact that poH is
not 'time' in the sense I refer to) or the other way around - both would
require 2 Type-5 noun suffixes.

So I recast - using the transitive sense of meQ - Hoch meQ qul 'oH poH'e'.

Just a little demonstration of how recasting can be used to pry us out of a
tight spot.

But here's an open question - how could we express 'time' in the sense of
"that phenomenon which ticks away in one direction and you can't do nothin'
about it"? We have poH = period of time (n), we have poH = time
(presumably, 'measure the elapsed time of') (v). Is there a reasonable way
to derive the searched-for meaning from these or other words - I can't find
one. Or is the best way to express the noun 'time' simply *time*?

Qermaq

Back to archive top level