tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 09 21:59:34 1997

Re: qaStaHvIS poH jIQubtaH

At 10:47 AM 9/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>In ST7 Soran says to Picard, "Time is the fire in which we all burn." Just
>thinking about how this would be expressed in tlhIngan Hol. To say "We all
>burn in a fire" we'd write qulDaq meQ Hoch. But how could we say that time
>is the fire and use a locative as one of the two nouns? We can't say
>*qulDaq'e' meQ Hoch 'oH poH'e'* (let's ignore for now the fact that poH is
>not 'time' in the sense I refer to) or the other way around - both would
>require 2 Type-5 noun suffixes.
>
>So I recast - using the transitive sense of meQ - Hoch meQ qul 'oH poH'e'.

I think you mean {Hoch meQbogh qul 'oH poH'e'}.
"A period of time is a fire that burns all."

I would have said {qul 'oH poH'e'.  qulvetlhDaq mameQ Hoch}
"Time is a fire. We all burn in that fire."
A few people would immediately jump on me for the construction {mameQ Hoch}
but I think {mameQ Hoch maH} is a reasonable construction and omitting the
pronoun gives {mameQ Hoch}.

>But here's an open question - how could we express 'time' in the sense of
>"that phenomenon which ticks away in one direction and you can't do nothin'
>about it"?

wa' lurghDaq taHbogh wanI'vetlh'e' DaSIghlaHbe'chu'bogh? :)

There may be a multiple-suffixed {-ghach} word out there that does the trick.
Like {taHtaHghach} but better.

I think {poH} more or less works for your meaning in the case above, but
certainly not in every case.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level