tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 09 08:38:54 1997

Re: KLBC: (Requiem) cha'DIch 'ay'

Edy previously wrote:
Edy> jaw, HeSmeywIj yIlIj

And I previously responded:
Qov> Yes, that's a good way to put it, but because you are asking for PLURAL
Qov> crimes to be forgotten you need the imperative prefix {tI-} for a third
Qov> person PLURAL object.  SoHvo' Qaghvam vIleghqa'chugh, 'oy'naQ vIlo'. :)

Edy apparently thinks I was joking about the painstik.  [Qov produces a
menacing looking painstik, dials it up to moderate intensity and jabs Edy in
the chest.
"moHaqmey tIqaw!" she yells.  "Remember your prefixes!"]

When you are giving a command to do something *to* something or some things
(to remember it, hit it, feed it, hear it, anything), if the something is
singular, use the prefix {yI-}.  If the something is plural, but represented
by an inherently plural noun like {cha} (torpedoes), use {yI-}.  Otherwise,
if the something is plural, that is if there is more than one of them,
either by context or because of a plural suffix, use {tI-}.

You're also consistently translating {-wIj} as "our."  {-wIj} is "my."  If
you want our, use {-maj}.  You've done this in several places.  Find them all.

> qaStaHvIS may''a' jajmey DI moj qo' 'e' qon'chu' qun
> (The history recorded that the world will become dust during the days
> of great battles)
>
>> I don't completely understand the reason for the {-chu'} here, but it is not
>> ungrammatical.
>	Because all the achievements of "spirits" will be written (in all >
details) in the Book. This is the reason I used the sufix -chu'.

But what you've said here is that the book will perfectly record that the
world will become dust.  It's not a problem to use {-chu'} on a verb in one
sentence and then not use it in a simlar context in another sentence.

> jaj tu'lu'. jajvetlh chavmeywIj noHmeH nughoS joH
> (There will be a day. In that day the lord will come us in order to judge
> our achievments)
>
> qo'Daq qa'mey rI' ghoghmey chuS
> (The loudly sounds will hail the spirits in the realm)
>
> Hoch ghIj noHwI'. HeSmeychaj DIlmeH nargh Hoch qa'mey
> (The judge will scare ev'ryone. All spirits will appear in order to pay out
> their sins)
>

>> DamughtaHvIS bIghojchugh vaj bIQapbej.
>
>	There some ways to learn a language. Hearing and speaking all time,

That's a good way, but you can reach a point of intelligibility and never
proceed beyond it to improve grammar.

>enter in a school and had a teacher to instruct you, or you learn by yourself.

This list tries to be a little of both.

>I had choosen the hard way and I think the best way to learn Klingon is
>translate ev'rything.

I must disagree.  The best way is to DO everything in Klingon, to translate
the ideas, not the words but the ideas that are in your head directly into
Klingon.
Translating is better for sharpening your skills and especially your
vocabulary after you have already learned.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level