tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 08 18:52:44 1997

Re: 2 more Okrandian backfits

ja' Qov:
>>Um, don't confuse actors for characters. [...]  I'm much more
>>inclined to trust Dr. Okrand's linguistic descriptions than the hurried
>>efforts of an actor whose interest is marginal at best in enunciating the
>>sounds so described.
>
>Ah, but look at the way Marc is playing the game.  From everything we've
>seen, whatever comes out of an actor's mouth on Paramount-released film *is*
>tlhIngan Hol.  It may be an obscure dialect, no' Hol, or a joke, but Marc is
>forcing it to fit the language somehow.
>
>wa'Hu' <STIII: Spock nejlu'> vIbejqa'.  vItIv.  Huj <HablI' SSS labbeH>
><jabbI'ID pItlh> je.  Hol poD lo'law'.

Valkris has always been a bit of a sticky spot, but not everything she
said came out strange.  Early this year, I started talking to my car as
I approached it, and ordering it to unlock itself.  I had chosen a name
for it -- {'etlhyIQ} -- and spoke to it as if it were a pet.  One day, as
I called out {'etlhyIQ Su' ngaQHa'}, {HablI' Su' labbeH} suddenly made
perfect sense.  The subtitle "Ready to transmit" is wrong; what she was
really doing was configuring her data-transceiving device for sending.
I asked Marc Okrand about that interpretation at qep'a' loSDIch, and he
agreed that it was a sensible way to think about what she had said.  He
also seemed to imply that Valkris didn't speak Klingon very well; it was
one of the few times I didn't see him smile enigmatically as he spoke.

And wasn't the other line {jabbI'ID rIntaH}?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Qapla', jawwI' bangwI' je.  "Success, chatterbox, and my lord."  - Valkris

Back to archive top level