tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 07 17:48:36 1997

Re: 2 more Okrandian backfits

At 01:13 PM 9/7/97 -0700, ~mark wrote:
>>Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:57:57 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: [email protected] (Scott D. Randel)
>>After listening to TKW, I'm starting to wonder about the official
>>dialect.  Gowron, on the Klingon CD-ROM, seems to have the same accent
>>as Worf (virtually no glottal stops, etc.).  Perhaps with his rise to
>>Chancellor, there is a new official dialect.  Kahless is, after all,
>>nothing more than a figurehead.
>
>Um, don't confuse actors for characters.  Remember that Okrand is a
>linguist, who has made detailed studies of foreign languages and the sounds
>they use, and thus is qualified to invent and use a language which doesn't
>necessarily sound like English.  Robert O'Reilly, however, is just some
>schmoe of an actor who, to his credit, DOES put a fair amount of effort
>into trying to get Klingon sounds right, but simply isn't very good at it
>("kwahom" indeed.  The only reason for the "kw" is because he saw the Q in
>the Klingon, and that's the sound Q makes in English).  I'm much more
>inclined to trust Dr. Okrand's linguistic descriptions than the hurried
>efforts of an actor whose interest is marginal at best in enunciating the
>sounds so described.

Ah, but look at the way Marc is playing the game.  From everything we've
seen, whatever comes out of an actor's mouth on Paramount-released film *is*
tlhIngan Hol.  It may be an obscure dialect, no' Hol, or a joke, but Marc is
forcing it to fit the language somehow.

wa'Hu' <STIII: Spock nejlu'> vIbejqa'.  vItIv.  Huj <HablI' SSS labbeH>
<jabbI'ID pItlh> je.  Hol poD lo'law'.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level