tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 07 20:54:09 1997

Re: Return to school

>>I suggest for "I went back to school yesterday" {wa'Hu' DuSaQDaq
>jIghojqa'}.
>> This translates literally as "I started studying again at school
>yesterday."
>
>Although this may be covered with the use of {wa'Hu'}, I would still use
>a suffix like {-pu'} or {-ta}  on {jIghojqa'} to indicate that the
>action was completed.
>
>jIghojqa'ta'

I don't agree.
  First:  the action is not completed, you are still learning.  If chegh
(return) was used, then -ta' might work.  <jIghojqa'> is <I resume learning>
or <I am learning again>.  <jIghojqa'ta'> - <I have learned again>.  Sure
you could probably say <I have *resumed* learning> putting the -ta' on the
<resume> instead of the <learn>; it may work in English, but I don't think
it works in klingon.
  Second:  <wa'Hu'> and the <-ta'> says that as of yesturday, the task had
already been comleted.  I think you were trying tense instead of aspect.

Grammarians?

DloraH

Back to archive top level