tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 05 19:59:18 1997

Re: KLBC: to do

At 10:13 AM 9/5/97 -0700, muHwI' wrote:
>Is there a word for "to do" ?

Not a general purpose one.  It would be translated different ways in
different situations.

>what about {ruch} ?
>"proceed, go ahead, do it"
>No...I don't think so...
>How do I use {ruch} ?
>chay' mu' ruch vIlo'

muHwI', you keep answering your own questions.  I should yell at you for
answering a KLBC. :)

The canon for {ruch} is {targhlIj yIngagh yIruch} "go screw your targ."
You can definitely say {yIruch neH!} for "just do it."  {Suruchrup'a'?} -
"are you guys ready to do it?"  You are safe using it without an object to
represent going ahead with some specific task.

It's not certain it can take an object, but if it does the object would be a
task.  You might be able to use it this way, but you might be wrong.

?Duj vIQaw' 'e' vIruch - I'm going to go ahead and destroy the ship.
                        I'm proceeding with the destruction of the ship.
                        I went ahead and destroyed the ship.

?HoH ruch - He will go ahead with the killing.

You definitely would NOT say {*ngop wIruch}{*jIbwIj vIruch} or {*megh wIruchnIS}
Those are English idioms.

>How do I say "What are you doing" ?
>
>Do we have to recast ?
Yes.
>{nuq Dachen}
nuq DachenmoH.  {chen} doesn't make sense with an object.

nuq Data'lI' - what are you in the process of accomplishing?
nuq 'oH Qu'lIj'e' - What is your duty/quest/mission/task/chore?

And often when we say "what are you doing?" we know exactly what the person
is doing, and what we really mean is "why are you doing X?"

qatlh HIchDal DapoSmoH jay'?

>Anything from KGT ?
>*KGT*Daq mu' chu' tulu''a' ?

yIpegh: wej KGT vIlaDchu' jIH.

>("yes, but not what you want...haha")

muHwI', you keep answering your own questions.  I should yell at you for
answering a KLBC. :).

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian
<qagh joy'>: rut qagh DaneH; rut DaneHbe' - majawtaHvIS Qanqor jIH je

Back to archive top level