tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 04 21:11:58 1997

Re: KLBC:Re:be'nI'HeywI'

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997 17:55:58 -0700 (PDT)  Qov <[email protected]>
wrote:

> At 04:47 PM 9/2/97 -0700, jeyD wrote:
>
> >QoQwIj vI'IjtaHvIS pa'vo' jaH ghaH.
> >When I listen to my music my sister leaves the room
>
> You've said "she" instead of "my sister" but no grammatical errors, assuming
> 'Ij to be transitive.  Consider using {vI'IjchoHDI'} instead of
> {vI'IjtaHvIS} to say she leaves as soon as you start to listen, and not just
> any time while you are listening.

I'm hesitant to assume {'Ij} to be transitive, simply because
the definition doesn't sound transitive and we have no canon use
of it so far proving otherwise. To get around this, I'd use:

QoQwIj vIchu'DI' Haw' be'nI'wI'.

Your sister doesn't care what you are listening to. She dislikes
what she hears. Your listening is inconsequential. It is your
PLAYING the music that sends her from the room.

> >'ach wa'Hu' tay' lureHtaHmo' be'nI'wI' jupDaj je, pa'vo' jIjaH jIH muneH.
> >but yesturday,
> >because my sister and her friend were -playing together- (I am not sure
> >if this part is right. Also, can you use taH and mo' on the same verb?)
> >she wanted ME to leave the room.
>
> Your instincts are correct about there being a problem with "playing together."
> We don't know of a Klingon adverb "together" so it has to be recast. I don't
> see that information is lost if you drop the word "together".

Or it could be cast:

'ach wa'Hu' reHtaHmeH tay'mo' be'nI'wI' jupDaj je, pa'vetlh
jImej neH ghaH.

> 'ach wa'Hu' reHtaHmo' be'nI'wI' jupDaj je, pa'vo' jIjaH jIH neH ghaH
>
> Qov  ([email protected])
> Beginners' Grammarian

and an excellent one you are, as well...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level