tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 01 10:24:33 1997

Re: KLBC:be'nI'HeywIj

At 11:02 PM 8/31/97 -0700, you wrote:
><be'nI'HeywIj>
>
>chuS'ughmey tawIj vI'IjtaHvIS tawij tIch be'nI'HeywIj.
>When I listen to my *music* my apparent sister insults it.

Not everyone is agreed that {'Ij} means "listen to" as well as "listen."
I'm not going to call it incorrect, but it may be.

Watch the caps: I is always upper case.

>Is there a word for music? I used musical recording( at least I think
>that is what I used)

According to this you were listening to a recording of the Klingon
instruments called {chuS'ugh}.  As you want to just say recordings of music,
the word for music is {QoQ}.

And considering that your sister was capable of language to the extent that
she insulted your music, you would normally use the possessive suffix {-wI'}
for her.

>chuS'ughmey tawIj tIchtaHvIS jI'Ijbe'.
>While she is insulting my music I cannot listen to it.

This is simply "While she is insulting the "chushug" recording I do not listen.
"I cannot listen to it" is {vI'IjlaHbe'}: note the object-taking prefix
{vI-} and the ability suffix {-laH}.  I suggest "I cannot hear it" would be
better, because we *know* we can use {Qoy} this way, and Klingons seem to
use {Qoy} in cases like this where we would say "listen."

Because the word order of the Klingon sentence is different, you need to
repeat the word music or use a pronoun to avoid ambiguity.  Otherwise it
sounds like you can't hear *her*.

So the sentence becomes: {QoQwIj tIchtaHvIS 'oH vIQoylaHbe'}

>be'nI'wIj vIparHa'bebej.
>I definatly do not like my sister.

Are you aware that you have negated a negation?  {vIpar} "I dislike" and
{vIparHa'be'} "I don't like" have different shades of meaning, and I would think
your sentiments towards someone you would kill would be beyond {parHa'be'}
to {par} or {muS}.

>be'nI'wIj vISuv vIneH. 'ach tlhIngan ghaHbe'.
>I want to fight my sister, but she is not a Klingon.

Again, as all through, {-wI'} on sister.

>tlhIngan ghaHchugh vIHoH.
>If she was a Klingon I would Kill her.

majQa'.  DubbejlI' laHlIj. DunuQDI' be'nI'lI' tlhIngan Hol yIjatlh.  ghaytan
QoyDI' Haw'.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginning Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level