tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 12:22:54 1997

Re: "Please."

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 07:23:35 -0700 (PDT) Marian Schwartz
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlh Qov
> >The Klingon for "would you please pass the saccharine?" is {HaQchor
> HInob}.
>
> Of course, KGT said that asking someone to pass you something is a
> completely alien concept -- you just reach over and get it.  Of course,
> this makes me doubt {ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob}, from PK (unless you're talking
> to the cook).

I suspect the truth is bent depending upon proximity. If
something is within reach, but nearer my neighbor, I reach over
and get it. If I feel polite, I'm careful not to stab my
neighbor with the claws on the back of my amulet. If the food
item in question is just barely out of my reach, I take my knife
and stab it and retrieve it. If it is beyond the reach of my
knife, I take the knife and point it at my neighbor's throat and
suggest that he pass me the food item.

This is Klingon etiquette.

> Qapla'
> qoror