tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 22 22:36:37 1997

Re: KLBC: qeqqa' muHwI'

At 12:21 97-10-15 -0700, muHwI' wrote:
}wejleS DuSaQDaQ jIvumnIStaHbe'mo' jIQuch.
}   Because I have no school the following two weeks I am happy.
}   (VERY loose translation)
Consider also:

wejleS jIvumnISbe'choH
wejleS jIghIQchoH, qaStaHvIS cha' Hogh jIvumnISbe'taH

(I use {-taH} and not {-lI'} because despite the definite stopping point,
your not working isn't any sort of progress toards a goal.

}vaj tlhIngan Hol vIghojlaHchu'.
}   In that case I can learn Klingon perfectly.
}~-~-~
majQa'.

}DaHjaj DuSaQDaq jIja''eghtaH. Dochvam yIlaDqu':

chorur.

}verenganpu' vIlegh.
}jIHvo' yIghoS jIjatlh vIparmo'.

If I were charghwI' I would complain stridently about the {-mo'} clause at
the end of that sentence.  As it is, I think it's clearer where you put it,
because this way the attributed speech is unambiguous.

}qatlh ghel verengan. (ghel =ask?)

bIlugh

}jImoDnISchu' jIjang.
}jISaHbe' jang.
}yItamchoH 'ej yIghoSchu' verengan.
maj.

}jIHvo' yIghoSbe'chugh vaj bIHegh jIjatlhchu'.
An imperative conditional doesn't work.  Either you order someone to do
something, or you say they don't do it. Say {bIghoSbe'chugh}.

}jIHeghvIpqu' jang verengan.
}choHoHQo' jach.

{HIHoHQo'}.  Telling, asking, or begging someone directly to do something
requires the imperative prefix.

}tam jIjach 'ej nom verengan HaDIbaH vIHoH.

You're referring to yelling "be quiet" in clipped Klingon?  {yItamchoH} -->
{tam}?  Works ok. Don't leave the letter {'} out of {Ha'DIbaH}.

}qoghDu'Daj vIpe' 'ej ramjep ghemvaD qagh verengan qoghDu' je wISop wItIv je.

{... DISop 'ej DItIv} or perhaps {... DISop 'e' wItIv}  depending on whether
you at "we enjoy eating them" or "we eat them and we enjoy them."  Remember
to join nouns with {je} and verbs with {'ej}.  Also {ghem} already means
midnight snack, so saying {ramjep ghem} is like saying "noon lunch."

}(vImughnISlaw' --> I cut his ears and at midnight for snack[?] worms and ears
}we eat and enjoy.)

}~-~-~
}verenganpu' vIlegh.
}Hoch vIHoH.
}DaH verenganmey tulu'.

Hagh Hagh Hagh.  Just don't forget the {'} on tu'lu'.  Some might say
{lutu'lu'} but this has been omitted in canon and never used, so it's
probably wrong or very formal, like the proper use of "whom."

}~~~-~
}reH yuch qID vISop vIneH 'ach yuch chIS vIpar.

yuch qID?  vay' tlhaQ 'oSbogh yuch DaSop DaneH'a'?  jIyaj'a'?

}~-~-~
}qatlh vImughbe' 'e' DaSovqu' SoH'e'.

The question words are not necessarily the same as the relative pronouns in
this sort of sentence.  I think it's being discussed elsewhere on the list
right now, so I won't go into detail.  The simplest way to rcast is with a
rhetorical question.

qatlh vImughbe'?  meq DaSovqu' SoH.

QIt jIjangmo' jItlhIj. jIDoy'taH. jIQaghtaH vIneHbe'mo' QIt jIjang.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level