tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 20 18:33:13 1997

Re: KLBC: Some phrases.

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Qov wrote:
|Qermaq wrote:
|}The very first Klingon canon I ever learned - <nuqDaq yuch Dapol?> - tells
|}me (at least; perhaps others too?) <pol> means something different than what
|}you imply above. Seems to me it implies volition on the part of the subject
|}as to the location of the object.
|
|Not any more than the fact I can say {nuqDaq jagh DaSuv} implies volition on
|the part of the subject as to where the fight should take place. I
|understand ho the first phrase you learned with the word would colour its
|meaning for you, but {pol} - "keep, save" refers to retaining something,
|storing it as opposed to discarding it, consuming it or giving it away.
|This is what the insular xenophobe means when he says "Keep my country for
|my countrymen."  Don't share it, don't let others take it, save it for us.

Regarding {pol}, take a look at the explanation of the new idiom {pollaH
pagh polHa'laH} on KGT 116f., though "I can either take it or leave it"
might be a better translation than "can either keep it or discard it".

Voragh

Back to archive top level