tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 19 19:17:07 1997

Re: KLBC: Some phrases.

At 09:19 97-10-19 -0700, Qermaq wrote:
}ghItlh Qov:
}
}>{tlhInganpu'vaD Qo'noS} this is a sentence fragment as much as the
}>English is, but it could be taken as part of any
}>expression like {tlhInganpu'vaD Qo'noS wIneH/wIchoq/wIpol/wIHub ...}
}>so it seems perfectly acceptable.
}
}The very first Klingon canon I ever learned - <nuqDaq yuch Dapol?> - tells
}me (at least; perhaps others too?) <pol> means something different than what
}you imply above. Seems to me it implies volition on the part of the subject
}as to the location of the object.

Not any more than the fact I can say {nuqDaq jagh DaSuv} implies volition on
the part of the subject as to where the fight should take place. I
understand ho the first phrase you learned with the word would colour its
meaning for you, but {pol} - "keep, save" refers to retaining something,
storing it as opposed to discarding it, consuming it or giving it away.
This is what the insular xenophobe means when he says "Keep my country for
my countrymen."  Don't share it, don't let others take it, save it for us.

}Your use seems to translate another sense
}of "save" or "keep" where we are maintaining a usage which began before the
}fact. More like "Keep Christmas with you" or "Keep on truckin'".

Definitely not.  "Keep on trucking" I'd translate as {DujlIj yIchIjtaH}.
"Keep on" is often a good translation of {-taH}.

"Keep Christmas with you" isn't a familiar expression to me, but I can guess
it means {*Christmas* yIloptaH} - continue to celebrate Christmas.

}To say "Keep Qo'noS for Klingons" what about <tlhIngan neH yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'
}'e' yIteHchoHmoH>

"Make it start being the case that Qo'noS is the Klingon only planet ."

I'm not happy with {tlhIngan neH yuQ} for "Klingon only planet".  "Klingon
only planet" doesn't quite work in English and it's worse in Klingon, coming
in the middle of a noun-noun.  Reads awkwardly.

or <... 'e' yIteHqa'moH>? Not great for a bumper sticker.

"Make it be again" better for that part of the meaning.

}I am also grasping for a verb which means "Make it so" - perhaps this is the
}best we can do? (teHbe'jaj!)

That's "let it not be."  Consider {yIchu'}  {yIqaSmoH} {yIruch} {yIta'}.

}Oh - using -jaj gives me another idea... <tlhIngan neH yuQ 'oHjaj
}Qo'noS'e'>?

Same problem with {neH} and same weakness you pointed out with using the to
be structure: no bumper sticker oomph.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level