tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 20 23:58:19 1997

Re: KLBC: Some phrases.

At 18:39 97-10-20 -0700, Voragh wrote:

}Regarding {pol}, take a look at the explanation of the new idiom {pollaH
}pagh polHa'laH} on KGT 116f., though "I can either take it or leave it"
}might be a better translation than "can either keep it or discard it".

Except that it doesn't mean quite the same as "I can take it or leave it"
does in English.  "I can take it or leave it" is somewhat of a bold
statement of not caring, and "take it or leave it" said to someone else is a
bit of a challenge. I think the closest match to an English expression is
"it's six of one or half a dozen of the other."

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level