tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 16 01:01:38 1997

Re: mu'tlheghmey Qatlh

At 20:47 97-10-09 -0700, Qob wrote:
}Neal Schermerhorn wrote:
}
}> Yesterday they gave me a handful of rocks.
}wa'leS jIhvaD nagh puS nob chaH.

If I don't point out that you forgot to shift the {H}, someone else will.

}> I claim this big hot desert for the Klingon Empire.
}tIn Debvam 'ej tuj Debvam 'ej DanmeH tlhIngan wo''e', vIDoQ.

"This desert is big and this desert is hot and I claim it so the Klingon
Empire may occupy it."

That expresses the same idea and is without grammatical error.  For a closer
translation I would say:

tlhIngan wo'vaD tujbogh Debvam tIn vIDoQ

"For the Klingon Empire I claim this big desert which is hot."

}> As the guards concentrated on my strange clothing, the men who were eating
}> in the old restaurant enjoyed the guard's confusion.
}
}SutwIj Huj lubuS 'avwI'pu'. Qe' ngo'Daq Sop loDpu'.  'avwI'pu' mIS
}lutIv.

The English "guard's"  necessarily refers to one guard only, so {'avwI'
mIS}.  By splitting it into three sentences you have lost the simultanity of
the three actions, and perhaps not made it clear WHO enjoyed the guard's
confusion.

You can get almost all the ideas together like this:

SutwIj Huj lubuStaHvIS 'avwI'pu', 'avwI' mIS lutIv SoptaHbogh loDpu'.

}> Her happy husband can certainly cause evryone to laugh while he is
}> sleeping.
}
}> My gagh has a first name. It is '-o-S-q-a-r.
}
}pong wa'DIch ghaj qaghwIj.  *'-o-S-q-a-r* 'oH pongDaj'e'.
}pong cha'DIch ghaj qaghwIj.  *m-a-y-e-r* 'oH pongDaj'e'.
}Hoch jaj vISop 'e' vImaS.
}chotlhobchugh {qatlh?} vaj vIja':
}qagh vutchu'mo' *'oSqar mayer*.
}
}(Yeah, it leaves a lot to be desired....)
}
}> Before we celebrate our victory, we need to defeat the last enemy.
}
}yay'maj wIlopDI' jagh Qav wIjeynIS.
}
}> One cannot forget that these trees are bigger than a fat Klingon.
}
}Sormey tIn law' tlhIngan pI' tIn puS net lIjlaHbe'.
}
}> If you bite my foot again, I will become impatient and you will become
}> injured.
}
}qamwIj Dachopqa'chugh vaj jIboHchoH 'ej bIrIQchoH.

maj.

}ghobe'!  qamwIj Dachopqa'chugh vaj bIHegh!

ghobe'?  nuq Dajang?

}> Eight drunk Terrans are disabling my computer and I don't want to fix it.
}De'wI'wIj lutI'Ha' chorgh tera'nganpu' 'ej vItI' vIneHbe'.

There's a shade of differnce beteen {Qotlh} and {tI'Ha'}.  I think I'd
translate the latter as "messing up" or maybe say "he's 'fixing' it".

}> Your beautiful face fascinates me but your smelly breath makes me ill.
}
}muvoq qablIj 'IH 'ach muropmoH He'So'bogh tlhuHlIj.

{voq} -trust  {vuQ} -fascinate

}> He sits in a chair and does not touch anything because his bosses do not
}> trust him.
}
}luvoqQo'mo' pInpu', quSDaq ba' ghaH 'ej pagh Hot.

Why {-Qo'}?  Doesn't say that they won't trust him, just that they don't.

}> Little Engine #9 is not able to push the heavy cargo but Big Engine #4 can.
}
}tep 'ugh yuvlaHbe' QuQ mach Hut 'ach yuvlaH QuQ tIn loS.

}(I really don't like {QuQ} or {jonta'} but I haven't found anything I
}like better, either... at least, nothing that isn't six words long.  If
}we had a word for "tow (a ship)" I'd happily use it.)

Sounds ok to me.  Think of the actual engine and don't stress about the sort
of chassis it's mounted on.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level