tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 15 22:19:43 1997

Re: it's difficult to endure the pain

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:47:48 -0700 (PDT)  Marc Ruehlaender
<[email protected]> wrote:

> to me, the main problem is, that the time stamp with {-taHvIS} seems
> to give a _condition_ as to _when_ the main clause is true.
>
> thus, I read the second sentence as implying that as soon as I don't
> endure the pain anymore "the situation" is not difficult anymore,
> while the intended meaning is more like "the situation" ceases to exist.

I agree that {-taHvIS} does not sufficiently connect endurance
and difficulty.

> I'm not sure I made my point clear... :(
>
> anyway, I'd try to say
>
> 'oy' DaSIQtaHchugh, SoHvaD taHtaH Qu' Qatlh
>
> (the main point being the use of {-chugh} rather than {-taHvIS})

I see this as possibly working, but not especially well. The
problem here is that if there is pain, do you have a choice but
to endure it? 'oy' DaSIQtaHchugh, SoHvaD taHtaH Qu' Qatlh, 'ach
'oy' Dalopchugh, reH ngeDtaH yInlIj!

I think the most literal casting you want is:

Qatlh 'oy' DaSIQmeH Qu'.

It looks odd because we often forget that {-meH} purpose clauses
can modify nouns, so this is "The in-order-that-you-endure-pain
task is difficult."

Meanwhile, why not just say:

Qatlh 'oy'.

and get it over with.

Qatlh 'oy', 'ach 'oy' yIn. 'oy' yISIQ 'ej yIyIntaH. 'oy' yIjuS
'ej yImon 'ej batlh yIlop. rut bI'oy'be'. rut bImI'laH. rut 'ey
bom 'ej rut 'ey Soj 'ej rut 'ey parmaq. 'oy' yIbuSQo'! yISIQ
neH. Qatlh'a'? ngeD'a'? ram! yISIQ 'ej yIyIntaH!

> HomDoq

charghwI'

Back to archive top level