tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 15 18:32:52 1997

Re: it's difficult to endure the pain

Edy said:
> 	There are 2 sentences:  "The pain is difficult for one endure" and
> "The situation is difficult while I'm enduring  the pain".
>
> 	Their subjects are completly different and their meaning too.
> In the first sentence, there is difficulty for everyone and in the second, on
> ly
> for me.  Okay .. not the main idea, but their meaning is.

to me, the main problem is, that the time stamp with {-taHvIS} seems
to give a _condition_ as to _when_ the main clause is true.

thus, I read the second sentence as implying that as soon as I don't
endure the pain anymore "the situation" is not difficult anymore,
while the intended meaning is more like "the situation" ceases to exist.

I'm not sure I made my point clear... :(

anyway, I'd try to say

'oy' DaSIQtaHchugh, SoHvaD taHtaH Qu' Qatlh

(the main point being the use of {-chugh} rather than {-taHvIS})

HomDoq

Back to archive top level