tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 15 11:11:50 1997

Re: "Good night."

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Bjorn X Oqvist wrote:

> If I want to say "Good night" in klingon, should I do it exactly as in
> english? (adjetive - noun).
>
> {ram QaQ.}

Well - the canonical* way to say it looks like the English: "maj ram"
           =========

This was heard on DS9, and is explained by Okrand in KGT where he covers
for Trek scriptwriter's misuse of tlhIngan Hol and makes up a song and
dance about how it really means "Good, it is night"....

...er, I mean, where he gives us a proper linguistic explanation of the
phrase.

* In both meanings of the word: Canonical as in "filmed Trek", and
  Canonical as in given the imprimatur of the one-and-only Okrand.

** joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]   **
****   Hegh tI, 'ej ngab tI naH, 'ach reH taHtaH joH'a'maj mu'****
**"The grass withers, and the flowers fade, but the word of our **
** God stands forever." Isaiah 40.8 NLT** http://umn.edu/~joela **
**http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon/uta: The Universal Translator**

Back to archive top level