tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 14 21:47:54 1997

"Repaint all your nails"

ja'pu' Qov:
>Not at all.  Just understand that you won't find an exact match.  Analogy of
>the day: it's like trying to find a nailpolish from Helena Rubenstein that
>is exactly the same colour as your L'Oreal nailpolish.  You just have to
>find something close and then repaint all your nails.  :P

ja' charghwI':
>Perhaps that should be the English idiom for my constant cry to
>recast instead of shoving Klingon words at English sentences:
>
>Hoch nItlhpachlIj yIbochqa'moH!

Some vocabulary from KGT might come in handy here: {nguv} "be tinted"

  Hoch nItlhpachlIj yInguvqa'moH!

Hmm, translating this gets a bit fuzzy.  It seems to say
"Repaint each of your fingernails."  That type 4 noun suffix
along with a preceding {Hoch} messes with my mind a little;

If you want to say "Repaint all your nails" you have to remember
the proper imperative prefix, of course.

  Hoch nItlhpachDu'lIj tInguvqa'moH!

What happens if we leave the plural suffix off here?  It should
be redundant because of the {yI-}, but interpreting {Hoch} as
"each" or "every" seems to rely on the explicit presence or
absence of the plural.

  Hoch nItlhpachlIj tInguvqa'moH!

What does this mean to the rest of you?  In my brain, it seems to
be trying to refer to a plural "each", which I can't yet grasp.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level