tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 13:48:24 1997

Re: it's difficult to endure the pain

According to Qov:

> At 11:47 97-10-10 -0700, Edy wrote:
> }	Greetings Qov!
> }
> }> }	`These exemples are easy, but when we have phrases like:
> }> }"It's difficult to endure the pain" becomes a bit difficult.
> Klingon does not permit a "sentence-as-subject" structure.
>
> }> You could change it to "It's difficult for me to endure the pain."
> }> {'oy' vISIQtaHvIS Qatlh ghu'} if that was what you meant.

I have never liked this construction. Simultenaity is not the
same thing as purpose. There may be no causal or goal
relationship between two things that happen at the same time.
{-taHvIS} serves as a time stamp and little else.

> }"The situation is difficult while I'm enduring the pain"
> }
> }> Read about  {-lu'}in section 4.2.5.
> }
> }	Yes, it's a trick to help us a good translation. I think we can use:
> }SIQmeHlu' Qatlh 'oy'. (The pain is difficult for one endure).
>
> SIQlu'meH 'oy' Qatlh - It's difficult in order to endure the pain.

Ummm. Qov. Take another look at your word order here. This
would mean something like, "In order that one endures,
difficult pain." It is not a sentence.

> Yes, that works well.

No, it doesn't.

You do so much good work. You've just been overloaded and had a
brain fart. qay'be'. You were trying to say:

'oy' SIQlu'meH Qatlh.

Meanwhile, as concise as this may be, the subject of {Qatlh} is
still this vague "it". And just what exactly is "it"? It is a
task, right? The task of enduring pain. Perhaps {Qu'} is an
important enough word to a Klingon that one might not omit it.

Or we might dive a bit deeper into the Klingon psyche and say:

'oy' SIQlu'meH Qatlh batlh.

After all this, I think I prefer:

nutob 'oy'.

> Not at all.  Just understand that you won't find an exact match.  Analogy of
> the day: it's like trying to find a nailpolish from Helena Rubenstein that
> is exactly the same colour as your L'Oreal nailpolish.  You just have to
> find something close and then repaint all your nails.  :P

Perhaps that should be the English idiom for my constant cry to
recast instead of shoving Klingon words at English sentences:

Hoch nItlhpachlIj yIbochqa'moH!

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

charghwI'