tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 12 12:14:31 1997

Re: humanoids

|I know this subject was broached before but I have forgotten the answer.
|What is the difference between ghot and nuv? Is there one?
|
|Kontay

They seem to be synonyms. Here's their use in canon (not including KGT,
which I haven't had time to go through page by page and add to my AKD):

ghot "person (humanoid)":
 ghotpu' tamey
 Personnel Files (ST:Communicator #104)

 reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je.
 One is always of his tribe.  (TKW)
 (lit. "A person and his house are always together.")

nuv "person (humanoid)":
 butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
 Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. (TKW)

And while we're on the topic, here are some related words:

yoq "humanoid":
 yoq yIn yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'
 Qo'noS is a class-M planet  (S27)

Dep "being (nonhumanoid)":
 Not attested.

HoSDo' "energy beings" (pl. only?)
 Not attested.

Dol "entity":
 Some people use this in the sense of "lifeform."  TKW however shows this
 is more like a "unity" or "a whole":
     wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap.
     We succeed together in a greater whole.

Voragh