tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 11 20:57:40 1997

Re: KLBC

>Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Qov <[email protected]>
>
>At 21:26 97-10-03 -0700, you wrote:
>}Can someone tell me what Clarrissa and JoAnn Would Be in Klingon ?
>
>*Clarissa* and *JoAnn*.  If you tell me what these names mean in English, I
>might be able to help you translate that, but I can't say the result would
>be a good Klingon name. The reason names on Earth have equivalets in other
>languages is that we share some cultural references and history.

An important thing to remember about "translating" names is that even if
names have a historical meaning, you have to consider whether those
meanings are are used in your life in English or whatever your language is,
and if you want them so in Klingon.  If your name is John, yes it has a
meaning: beloved of God (from Hebrew "yochanan").  But are you therefore
careful to introduce yourself to English-speakers as "Hi, my name is
Beloved-of-God"?  Or do you say "My name is John" and use it as a
meaningless syllable?  If you want to make sure Klingons know the original
meaning of your name, translate it, but consider if you really want that.
Do you generally care if people know the original meaning of your name?

~mark

Back to archive top level