tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 11 09:49:43 1997

Re: KLBC: Requiem - Recordare/Confutatis/Lacrimosa

  ja' ghunchu'wI':

>chonejlI'. maHvaD bIHeghta'. paghvaD bIHeghbe'ta'
>(You were looking for me. You died for us. You didn't died for
>nothing)

> {bIHeghbe'ta'} means "You intentionally have not died."  You probably
> wanted to put the rover {-be'} after the entire sentence, making it
> {paghvaD bIHeghta'be'} "You have not accomplished dying for nobody."
> There is parallel ambiguity in the Klingon and English sentences; is
> it the "accomplished" that is being negated, or the whole idea of
 > "dying for nobody/nothing"?
>
 > The idea is "You have not accomplished dying for nobody/nothing/in blank."
 > There was a propose in his death as a previous sentence said. Then, the
 > best translation is: {paghbaD bIHeghta'be'}

> I REALLY don't like this. It sounds to me very much like you
> tried to die for nothing and you failed. It sounds VERY
> insulting, which is the opposite of what you want. I think you
> are tangled up in words here. It is better to drop the words
> and go back to the thoughts behind them. I know I'm saying this
> a lot these days, but it seems to be my primary mission in this
> language community.

	All good ideas are always wellcome and I really like to hear them.
Feel free to make your comments. I'm glad that you are interested to help.

> Hey, in Krankor's article in HolQeD, I see that Okrand has
> sanctified my recasting of "Which phaser do you want" as
> "Identify the phaser that you want". pu' DaneHbogh yIngu'! So,
> this recasting thing is worth looking into.
>
> HeghlIj ngoQ ta'ta' HeghlIj.

your death accomplished in propouse of you death ?

Back to archive top level