tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 12:07:02 1997

Re: KLBC: Requiem - Recordare/Confutatis/Lacrimosa

According to Eduardo Fonseca:

>  ja' ghunchu'wI':
>

> > >chonejlI'. maHvaD bIHeghta'. paghvaD bIHeghbe'ta'
> > >(You were looking for me. You died for us. You didn't died for
> > >nothing)
> >
> > {bIHeghbe'ta'} means "You intentionally have not died."  You probably
> > wanted to put the rover {-be'} after the entire sentence, making it
> > {paghvaD bIHeghta'be'} "You have not accomplished dying for nobody."
> > There is parallel ambiguity in the Klingon and English sentences; is
> > it the "accomplished" that is being negated, or the whole idea of
> > "dying for nobody/nothing"?
>
> The idea is "You have not accomplished dying for nobody/nothing/in blank."
> There was a propose in his death as a previous sentence said. Then, the
> best translation is: {paghbaD bIHeghta'be'}

I REALLY don't like this. It sounds to me very much like you
tried to die for nothing and you failed. It sounds VERY
insulting, which is the opposite of what you want. I think you
are tangled up in words here. It is better to drop the words
and go back to the thoughts behind them. I know I'm saying this
a lot these days, but it seems to be my primary mission in this
language community.

Hey, in Krankor's article in HolQeD, I see that Okrand has
sanctified my recasting of "Which phaser do you want" as
"Identify the phaser that you want". pu' DaneHbogh yIngu'! So,
this recasting thing is worth looking into.

HeghlIj ngoQ ta'ta' HeghlIj.

> 	Edy

charghwI'

Back to archive top level