tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 11:32:31 1997

Re: KLBC: Requiem review

According to Eduardo Fonseca:

> 	`These exemples are easy, but when we have phrases like:
> "It's difficult to endure the pain" becomes a bit difficult.

Usually when a phrase seems difficult, it can become much
easier if you release yourself from the English structure of
the sentence and return to the thought which created it.
Recast. Most of the time, working from the thought and not the
words, you can find a simpler way to state your thought.

muqaD 'oy'wIj.

jI'oy'taH. jISIQlaH'a'? Sunna' vIpoQ.

I think any of this expresses well "It is difficult to endure
the pain." If you really are attached to "It is difficult",
then you can stumble through:

'oy'wIj vISIQmeH Qatlh Qu'.

Arguably, you could also say:

Qatlh 'oy'wIj vISIQmeH Qu'.

{-meH} verbs can describe nouns as well as verbs. In this
second example, the literal translation is: "The
in-order-that-I-endure-my-pain mission is difficult." It is
probably more applicable here than the first example which is a
little more ambiguous.

> __
> Eduardo Edy Fonseca  ||   Belo Horizonte, Brasil
> Pau Brasil: The brazilian's VGA Planets home page
> http://www.Geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2460
> QaghmeylIj tIchID yIyoH. Hovmey DIvan

charghwI'

Back to archive top level