tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 08:13:42 1997

Re: KLBC: Requiem review

At 08:46 97-10-09 -0700, edy wrote:

}> For any verb you use, you must consider its subject, the thing(s) or
}> person(s) doing the action of the verb, and its object, the thing(s) or
}> person(s) getting the action of the verb done to him/her/it/them.  Then look
}> up the correct prefix in the table on page 33. Not all verbs have objects.
}> There is a column for "no-object" pronouns to take care of that.  Verbs with
}> the {-lu'} suffix don't have subjects.  See section 4.2.5 for that case.
}>
}> Example:  "I help you"  Subject is "I"  Object is "you"  The prefixes for
}> subject "I" are in the first row of the table.  Going across the table I get
}> to {qa-} in the "you (singular)" object column. The verb "help" is {QaH}.
}> Therefore {qaQaH} means "I help you."
}>
}> Example: "You and I will tickle the bug."  Subject "you and I" equates to
"we".
}> Object "the bug" is an "it."  Go down the subject column to "we" and then
}> across the the "him/her/it" object column.  The prefix there is {wI-}.  So
}> the sentence is {ghew wIqotlh jIH SoH je}.
}
}	`These exemples are easy, but when we have phrases like:
}"It's difficult to endure the pain" becomes a bit difficult.

That's clearly an indefinite subject that is enduring the pain.

{'oy' SIQlu'taHvIS Qatlh ghu'}  "The situation is difficult while one
endures pain."

You could change it to "It's difficult for me to endure the pain."
{'oy' vISIQtaHvIS Qatlh ghu'} if that was what you meant.  Read about
{-lu'}in section 4.2.5.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level