tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 11:20:57 1997

it's difficult to endure the pain

	Greetings Qov!

> }	`These exemples are easy, but when we have phrases like:
> }"It's difficult to endure the pain" becomes a bit difficult.
>
> That's clearly an indefinite subject that is enduring the pain.
> {'oy' SIQlu'taHvIS Qatlh ghu'}  "The situation is difficult while one
> endures pain."

	Allow me to desagree. Some gramarians say that it is a "orational
subject", (sorry but I don't know it's name in english), may be "phrasal subejct".
It's an interesting analisys because they define the subject as:
 "to endure the pain".  As it becomes too difficult to translate into Klingon,
we have to change  the phrase to keep the idea. In this specific case, it's
difficult to see the "pain" as subject.

> You could change it to "It's difficult for me to endure the pain."
> {'oy' vISIQtaHvIS Qatlh ghu'} if that was what you meant.

	We can change the sentence, but the main idea is lost.
"The situation is difficult while I'm enduring the pain"

> Read about  {-lu'}in section 4.2.5.

	Yes, it's a trick to help us a good translation. I think we can use:
SIQmeHlu' Qatlh 'oy'. (The pain is difficult for one endure).

	I know I'm annoying you but it's a very difficult point for me.

__
Eduardo Edy Fonseca  ||   Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Pau Brasil: The brazilian's VGA Planets home page
http://www.Geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2460
QaghmeylIj tIchID yIyoH. Hovmey DIvan

Back to archive top level