tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 12 20:14:33 1997

Re: it's difficult to endure the pain

ja'pu' Qov:
>That's clearly an indefinite subject that is enduring the pain.

ja' Edy:
>	Allow me to desagree. Some gramarians say that it is a "orational
>subject", (sorry but I don't know it's name in english), may be "phrasal
>subejct".

Its name in English is unimportant.  When considering Klingon, we refer to
it as a "sentence as subject".  (And we don't have any grammar to do it.)

>> You could change it to "It's difficult for me to endure the pain."
>> {'oy' vISIQtaHvIS Qatlh ghu'} if that was what you meant.
>
>	We can change the sentence, but the main idea is lost.
>"The situation is difficult while I'm enduring the pain"

The main idea is lost?  The main idea is the difficulty experienced by
the one enduring the pain.  There are many ways to phrase it without
"losing" the idea.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level