tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 10:44:28 1997

Re: KLBC: Requiem - Ofertorium/Hostias/Sanctus/Benedictus/Agnus Dei/Communio

At 21:03 97-10-08 -0700, edy wrote:

}qeylIS, joHwI' quv, qa'pu' yoH tItoD

qay'be'.

}ghe''orDaq luSpet tItoD
}(Save them from the blackhole of Netherworld)
This actually says "Save the black holes in the netherworld."

You'd have to say something like "Save them so they do not fall into the
black holes of the netherworld." or "Take them out of the black holes of the
netherworld."

}veqlargh pachDu'vo' tItoD ghe'torDaq DoHmeH
}(Save them from the fek'lih claws in order to get them away from Gretor)

Remember that a {-meH} clause alays needs to come before the main clause.
{ghe'torDaq DoHmeH} would mean "in order that they back away *to* ghe''or."
You need the suffix indicating motion _away from_: {ghe'torvo' DoHmeH} or
maybe {DoHmoHmeH} depending on whether you want to imply that the lord will
cause them to back off or just make conditions such that they will back off.

I didn't like {veqlargh pachDu'vo' tItoD} at first, but as I would accept
{veqlargh pachDu'vo' tItlhap} and as {toD} can have that meaning, I'll not
argue with it.

}vaj qIjyo' ghoS Dujchaj
}(and then their ship will approach them into the Black Fleet)

Black fleet would be yo' qIj.  Don't forget that stative verbs acting as
adjectives FOLLOW the noun.

}Hoch Qo'noS juHmey Dalay'pu'
}(you had promiss it to all houses of Kronos)

You had promised it *to*, for the benefit of.  This is a good place to use
{-vaD}. {Hoch Qo'noS juHmeyvaD ...}

}chavmeymaj may'meymaj je pInob
}(we offer you our achievments and our battles)
majQa'.

}qa'pu' quv DaHev
}(receive them from the honored spirits)

This just says "you receive the honoured spirits."  You ned to use {-vo'} to
indicate motion away from the spririts.  {qa'pu' quvvo'}

}quvlIj tInob
}(give them your honor)
maj.

}Hovmey DIvan
}(we salute the stars)
maj.

}jaw, joH, jaw. ngeHbej HoS joH
}(Lord, Lord, Lord. Lord of the cosmic power)
majQa'.

}quvlIj naQ 'u'
}(The universe is full of your glory)

Is naQ "be full of"?  I think it is just "be whole" and "be entire".
We do have a verb {buy'} "be full."  It doesn't mean "be full of" though, so
you'd say {quvlIjmo' buy' 'u'} or perhaps better, {'u' buy'moH quvlIj}

}Dochmey Do' chanob
}(you give us the fortunate things)

{junob} "You give us"

}qeylIS bat'legh, qo HeSmey tebogh, tIleS
}(Sword of Kahles wich take the sins of world off, rest them)

Some definite typos here, and a Klingon relative clause writen backwards. In
English e rearrange a relative clause to make the head noun come first.  In
Klingon we just mark it with {-'e'} (not in TKD).  Also by "rest them" you
mean "cause them to be rested." {jIleS} - I rest  {muleSmoH} - it rests me.

{qo' HeS teqbogh qeylIS betleH'e', tIleSmoH}

}taHjaj bIwovlu',  joHwI' quv
}(you will be lighted forever, my honored lord)
Almost.  When you use {-lu'} the verb's object is represented by what would
normally be the third person object prefix for a subject of the same person
as the object of the verb with {-lu'}.  vIleghlu' - I am seen  wIleghlu' -
we are seen leghlu' - he/she/it is seen luleghlu' - they are seen.

}joH, SuvwI'pu' quvvaD ngeHbej roj yInob vaj chaH wovmoH qul boch
}(Lord, give the cosmic peace to the honored warriors and the bright fire
will ligh them)
maj.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian