tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 08:13:43 1997

Re: newbie practice

At 17:43 97-10-09 -0700, maSwov wrote:
}I found these little sentances that Qov & Qermaq had made up

All credit goes to Qermaq.  I asked him to do it during the days he was home
bored.

}for idiots like me

Nope.  For beginners who don't yet know the differnce between an easy
sentence and a hard one.  Sentences like these help me fix one problem at a
time with your Klingon, which I hope will help you learn faster.

}the scientist reads the book
}paq laD tej
maj.

}my boss commands me
}pInwI' yIra'

Don't forget: Object-Verb-Subject.  If ther eis no object then Verb-Subject.

The imperative prefixes go only on things that are actually commands, not
statements about commands or statements implying commands.  The prefix you
need here is no differnt than the prefix you would use for "my boss sees
me."  It's the third person singular subject--first person singular object
prefix, that is, the he/she/it--me prefix, {mu-}.

You did catch that a boss is a talking person and use the {-wI'} possesive
suffix.  maj.

mura' pInwI'

}I maintain the engines
}QuQmey vIleH
maj.

}the Ferengi looks for the money
}Huch nej verengan
maj.

}the warrior shows his heart
}Daj'tIq 'ang SuvwI'
Oook. {-Daj} is a possessive *suffix*.  A suffix is something that goes on
the end of a word.  And we do NOT routinely add a {'} to separate a word
from its suffix. *Note there is one case here we might do this: putting
{-oy} on a word ending in a vowel, e.g. {?ghu'oy}.

tIqDaj 'ang SuvwI'

}Qermaq writes the sentances
}mu'tlheghmey ghItlh Qermaq

Oops.  I should have realized this would happen.  I've been throwing out
exercises expressly geared to the abilities and practice needs of particular
people.  The ones below have already been done by their intended victims and
I have corrected them with explanations already.  If you've deleted the mail
you can find them by going through recent postings from me at:
http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/current

}the soldiers armed the torpedoes and concentrated on their targets
}chajray' buS 'ej cha' nuHHom negh
}the soldier will kill the scientist before the analysis is done so that the
}truth he dreads will never be revealed
}'ang not Haj vItmey poj rInpa' mang HoH tej
}(i had a bit of difficulty with this one!)(my answer doesn't seem long enuff!)

You have left out a few concepts but the correct Klingon is about a third as
long as the English.  Klingon is almost always shorter.

Now I see your weaknesses and capabilities: here are some sentences for YOU.
These require you to use type 1 to 4 noun suffixes and verb prefixes
correctly, so re-read chapter 2 and the beginning of chapter 3.

She deceives me. I like her.
I will ridicule you. You expected it.
He sees the flag. He sees their stars.
I am superior. You are boring.