tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 08 01:45:33 1997

Re: KLBC: Requiem review

At 23:59 97-10-05 -0700, edy wrote:

}		Requiem
}
}joH, SuvwI'pu' quvvaD ngeHbej roj yInob vaj chaH wovmoH qul boch
}(Lord, give the cosmic peace to the honored warriors and the bright fire
will ligh them)
}
}Qo'noSDaq SoHvaD chanob nob
}(They give you ritual gifts in Kronos)
}
}Qo'noSDaq batlh naDlIj lubom
}(They sing your commendation with honor in Kronos)
}
}joHwI''e' lughoSqangbogh Hoch qa'pu', mu'meywIj tIQoy
}(My Lord, for whom all spirits is willing to approach, hear my words)
}
}
}jaw, HeSmey yIlIj
}joH, HeSmey yIlIj
}jaw, HeSmey yIlIj
}(Lord, forgive our sins)

1. Our sins is {HeSmeymaj}.
2. plural sins requires plural object imperative prefix.  {tIlIj}.  I
clearly didn't hit you hard enough with the painstick for this last time.

}qaStaHvIS may''a' jajmey DI moj qo' 'e' qon qun
}(The history recorded thath the world will become ashes during the days of
the great battles)
}
}jaj tu'lu'. jajvetlh chavmeymaj noHmeH nughoS joH
}(There will be a day. In that day the lord will come to us in order to
judge our achievments)
}
}qo'Daq qa'pu' rI' ghoghmey chuS
}(The loudly sounds will hail the spirits in the realm)
}
}Hoch ghIj noHwI'. HeSmeychaj DIlmeH nargh Hoch qa'pu'
}(The judge will scare everyone. All spirits will appear in order to pay
their sins)
}
}Hoch chavmey mah ngaSchu'bogh paq'e' tu'lu' poSchoHDI' tagh yojmaj
}(There is a book wich contain all our achievements. Our judgment will begin
as soos as the book is opened)

{chavmeymaj} for "our achievements"

}ba'choHpu'DI' noHwI' paq'e' laDlu'chu'. bIjDaj popDaj joq Hev Hoch
}(When the judge has been seated, they will read the book. Everyone will
receive his reward or punishment)

Any reason you emphasized {paq'e'} here?  I hope you weren't just copying
the {-'e'} down from the sentence above.

}nuq jIjatlh. jIH QaH 'Iv jItoDlaHbe'chugh
}(What I will say? Who will help me if I cannot save myself)

Don't forget verb prefixes.  "Who will help me?"  The subject is third
person and the object is me.  {jIH muQaH 'Iv}  "who will help ME?"

You've missed a suffix out, too, {'egh} meaning oneself.
{jItoD'eghlaHbe'chugh} "if I cannot help myelf.

}quv qa'pu' toDbogh joH'a', HItoD
}(Great Lord, who saves the honored spirits, save me)

Remeber that a stative verbs modifying a nouns follows the noun. {qa'pu' quv}
Perhaps {toDtaHbogh} I think that he saves the honoured spirits not just
once, but in the past and future as well, qar'a'?

}Dochvam yIqaw' quv joHwI': wo' jItoytaHvIS jIHegh. qa'wI' yIpuQ
}(Rebember this, my honored Lord: I'll die serving the empire. Enrich my spirit)

Again, {joHwI' quv}.  Check the prefix on {toy'}.

I see how you understood {puQ} - "be fed up" as "enrich," but "be fed up"
happens to be an Engish idiom meaning "have reached the limit of tolerance."
The verb you ant is {je'} as in {qa' wIje'meH maSuv}.

}QaghmeylIj tIchID yIyoH. Hovmey DIvan

Did you mean to change it from {Davan} to {DIvan}?  The change produces
correct grammar, just might not have been what you meant.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level