tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 29 05:33:58 1997

Re: indefinite subject

QetlhIS jang Qov:
>}4.) qu' tlhInganpu'. Dat 'u'Daq net Qub.
>
>qarbe'.
>
>The word {net} stands in for the sentence in the first half of the 'sentence
>as object' construction.  {Dat 'u'Daq} is not a sentence.

I think #4 is the best of the lot, myself.  {Dat 'u'Daq} is a locative,
saying where {Qub} takes place.  The {net} is standing in for the prior
sentence {qu' tlhInganpu'}.  But putting locatives, adverbials, time
stamps, etc. before the {net} or {'e'} is not well-documented; it is
just the way most people *think* it should happen.  We've got canon for
putting adverbials *after* {'e'}:

  DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH
  DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.  (Skybox S26)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level