tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 28 16:36:11 1997

Re: squadron officers

David Trimboli wrote:

> From: TPO <[email protected]>

> >somebody challenged:
> >
> >>1)  Two squadrons of officers entered the restaurant.
> >>2)  Two squadron officers entered the restaurant.
> >>3)  The officers of two squadrons entered the restaurant.
>
> First, I'll say that I'm not entirely sure what the difference between "two
> squadrons of officers" and "the officers of two squadrons" is.  The second

It's a comparison between the number of officers who entered and the
number of ships (or maybe officers) in a squadron.  Basically, "two
squadrons of officers" is a way to say "lots of officers".  We do that a
lot in English without realizing it.

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')       [email protected]
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI'            http://www.frontiernet.net/~qob/

Back to archive top level