tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 21 11:51:23 1997

Re: squadron officers

-----Original Message-----
From: TPO <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, November 21, 1997 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: squadron officers

>somebody challenged:
>
>>1)  Two squadrons of officers entered the restaurant.
>>2)  Two squadron officers entered the restaurant.
>>3)  The officers of two squadrons entered the restaurant.
>
>I thought I would give it a try.
>(I felt that I was forgetting a rule or two, but hey, I tried)
>
>1)  Qe' lu'el cha' yaS nawloghmey
>2)  Qe' lu'el nawloghvo' cha' yaS
>3)  Qe' lu'el cha' nawloghvo' yaSpu'

Ack!  Aieee!  That's the Krankor Trick, and there's absolutely no way I'm
going to accept this without divine intervention (we all know who that
is)!!!!  Type 5-suffixed nouns modify *sentences*, not other nouns!

First, I'll say that I'm not entirely sure what the difference between "two
squadrons of officers" and "the officers of two squadrons" is.  The second
one looks like it might mean "as opposed to crewmembers."  I suppose, then,
that the only way to interpret the first one is to say that the squadrons
are made up entirely of officers . . .  Now that we've thought about what
these sentences *really* mean, we can translate.

1. Qe' lu'el cha' yaS nawloghmey.
2. Qe' lu'el cha' nawlogh yaSpu'.
3.  This one simply requires a bit more context.  SuchtaH cha' nawlogh.  Qe'
lu'el yaSpu'chaj.

Or, you could keep things a little vague (i.e., without context), and do the
following:

1. Qe' lu'el cha' yaS nawloghmey
"Two officer squadrons enter the restaurant."

2. Qe' lu'el cha' nawlogh yaSpu'
"Two squadron officers enter the restaurant."

3. Qe' lu'el cha' nawloghmey yaSpu'
"Two squadrons' officers enter the restaurant."

Because of the ability to leave of plural markers, the difference between
the second and third sentence above is vague.  But this, this problem was
set up that way.

SuStel
Stardate 97891.3

Back to archive top level